Vie et Milieu

• Full Screen
  • Wide Screen
  • Narrow Screen
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Article 9

Serpulid polychaetes from Cystoseira communities in the Ionian Sea, Mediterranean

pdf.png
File Size:
2 MB

R. SANFILIPPO1*, A. ROSSO1, F. SCIUTO1, D. SERIO2, M. CATRA2, G. ALONGI2,M.P. NEGRI3, R. LEONARDI1, A. VIOLA1
1 University of Catania, Department of Biological, Geological and Environmental Sciences, Section of Earth Sciences, Corso Italia 57, I-95129 Catania, Italy
2 University of Catania, Department of Biological, Geological and Environmental Sciences, Section of Botany, via A. Longo 19, I-95130 Catania, Italy
3 University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Piazza della Scienza 4, I-20126 Milan, Italy
* Corresponding author: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

ABSTRACT. – Serpulids associated with the Cystoseira brachycarpa, C. sauvageauana and C. spinosa communities from 5, 10 and 25 m water depth, respectively, along the eastern coast of Sicily, in the Ionian Sea (Mediterranean), have been studied. A total of 19 species were found including 13 serpulins and 6 spirorbins colonizing a few soft algal species offering large, relatively consistent and persistent substrata, as well as coralline thalli and lithic granules. Although represented by a fewer number of species, spirorbins are by far more abundant than serpulins in specimen number, above all in the two shallowest communities, which are less diversified. The composition and structure of assemblages seem to be shaped by general environmental conditions (mostly light/shadowing) and the presence, morphology and persistence of algal species suitable to be colonized, also in relation to hydrodynamic energy.

You are here: Volume 67 (2017) Issue 3-4 Article 9
Vie et Milieu
Observatoire Océanologique - Laboratoire Arago - Sorbonne Université
66650 Banyuls-sur-Mer - France
Email: vimilieu@obs-banyuls.fr

Managing Editor
Franck Lartaud
Phone: (33) (0)4 30 19 24 52
Email: franck.lartaud@obs-banyuls.fr

Editorial Secretary
Véronique Arnaud
Phone: (33) (0)4 68 88 73 29 (morning)